5 February 2014

Shopping Local: Farmers' Market Love

We've been making a big effort to shop at the farmers' markets for as much of our supplies as we can lately. I can honestly say we are totally fed up with supermarket retailers in this country. I feel like, as a customer, we are taken so much for granted and I'm pretty sure these retail giants think their customers are stupid. But we are not.
Fresh from the farmers' market, beautifully coloured rhubarb.

Anyway, I dream of not setting foot into the behemoth that is Coles/Woolworths and to a lesser degree Aldi. Perhaps I will challenge myself to a month of no-go to any of the above. Although we do still need to buy essentials of life that they supply. And therein lies their capacity to treat customers with contempt, and know that they will come back anyway. I'm not talking about the people on the shop floor either, I'm talking about the corporate level stuff. Squeezing suppliers and customers alike. Raising prices for no apparent reason. Changing the product mix, but leaving the packaging the same, and assuming no-one will notice. We notice.

One of the things I love about buying our fruit and veg at the market is stepping out of my 'normal' routine. And you know, something I've been thinking about and sort-of living by for a while now is shopping and eating seasonally. I haven't had a fresh tomato since last summer and we're still waiting on ours to ripen in the vegie garden. I am becoming less and less inclined to buy a product that I know has been grown artificially, out of season, and with goodness knows what chemicals or treatments to enhance it's shelf life and make it look visually perfect. And yet I buy bananas every week, and I'm pretty sure they tick all those boxes and more [think food miles from warmer climates..].

The flavour of foods we grow ourselves or buy at the markets is so unbelievably good, so full of life and goodness. The garlic, onions and leeks are so pungent. The potatoes so creamy and flavoursome. The zucchini from our garden tastes amazing, unlike the packaged up version from the supermarket that tastes a bit like, well, nothing. And the packaging, don't even get me started on the packaging. We know how much excess packaging ends up in landfill, and yet retailers still stock their shelves with so much unnecessary packaging, particularly in the fruit and veg department. Don't get me wrong, I am very guilty of buying stuff like this anyway, because hey, we all need to eat. I'm just doing what I can to limit my contribution.

I guess we are all responsible for this problem. The retailers only stock what will sell. But I think it is a bit of a vicious cycle. We the customers buy what is there, even when we would rather not. So there is no incentive for the retailers to change their ways. 

The farmers' market is more expensive for us. Our food bill has gone up. It's a tricky one to manage, as we're watching our budget and wondering if this is the best way to shop. But at the same time, I would rather see my food money go to a farmer within a 100km radius, rather than into the retail giants. I would rather buy food that has been grown locally, and that has a life and an energy contained within, than buy food that has been grown under artificial conditions. Or that has travelled many kilometres. We recently spent $20 on garlic at the farmers' market - for a beautifully plaited bunch of garlics grown locally. On the one hand, it's a lot of money for garlic. But the alternative - buying a cheaper product, shipped in from Spain or Mexico, that has half the flavour, well... I'm glad we gave our $20 to the local guy. It's nothing against the product from Spain or Mexico, I'm sure it's wonderful too - but probably tastes better if you eat it in say, Spain or Mexico. Not down here on the other side of the planet.

I've been buying rhubarb at the markets lately. I've never bought it in my life before now. I love the colours, and I love that I then get home and think 'now what on earth do I do with it?' - it forces me to try something new. Apple and rhubarb mini-pies, apple and rhubarb crumble. I probably need to branch out and try it with something other than apple. Next time.

Do you shop mainly at supermarkets or farmers' markets? How do you balance shopping ethical with meeting your family's needs?

11 comments:

  1. We buy all our food (that we don't grow) from our local Co-Op. The Co-Op stocks locally produced vegetables and fruit and sources organic (and non-organic if the customer wants) bulk items like flour, wheat, sugar and salt. We do find it more expensive to buy exclusively from them, but we are supporting local and organic industry and we save on the petrol and time costs of a two hour trip into town.
    Maybe you can find a local Co-Op there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will investigate the Co-Op option, I'm not sure there is one here but it sounds great. I would love to be able to buy in bulk, not the tiny little packets stocked on most shelves.

      Delete
  2. yummy when I was a kid I ate a raw rhubarb with plenty of sugar. we also have a local market, but the prices are too high. Organic vegetables are cheaper in supermarkets, but here in Scotland except potatoes and carrots grow a difficult thing.

    shopping for me anguish. When I buy something I read and I read and I put back on the shelf. The worst part is that I remember tastes of childhood. Sometimes I'm glad I grew up during communism in Poland, because we were cut off from the world. Most people had gardens and growing vegetables. One had an apple, and another had peaches and exchanged. Money did not matter anyway because there was nothing in the shops. Have only good memories and I forgot about the queues for bread at -15 C. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we read and read too, so much I don't want to buy. It's so interesting to hear your experience of communism in Poland. We are so removed from that kind of system here. I would love to be able to exchange fruits and vegetables and not need money to do it.

      Delete
  3. Rhubarb and strawberry jam and rhubarb crumble with custard are my faves! Has to be forced rhubarb though. I'm from Yorkshire. 'Tis how we like it! ;)

    Don't get me started on packaging. Really. We love our farmers markets but would have to travel to a different town each week in the month and not all of them that near so we go to our favourite one once a month for meat. We now get fresh veg and dairy from a veg box scheme. Not particularly local but they're very picky about where they get their food from. It comes in a box you give back. Cold stuff is insulated with wool. The veg, mostly, is just put straight in the box. Very little packaging ... YAY! Slight snag now is the boys aren't coping well with cows milk so I need to get them back on goat but Abel&Cole haven't yet found an organic and/or high welfare goat farm that can supply them enough. So I'm going to have to go back to the supermarket for it. They at least stock the best available even if it's not the welfare I'd like. But the boys' tummies do have to come first! It can be a had thing to balance and there are times I envy those with no principles, who don't think about every single thing they pick up ... but I'm glad I do and I wish more people did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what forced rhubarb is... will google it!
      The veg box thing sounds great, as does giving the box back, as does wool insulation. And little packaging.
      Yes, it is tricky to balance it, it would be easier to just not think about it. But, we do!

      Delete
    2. Did you Google? Basically make it grow without light. I have a lovely terracotta forcer I got at a lovely pottery years ago (lid unfortunately now broken - a combination of frost and children!) it grows pale and oh so sweet. And not stringy. Hubby didn't like rhubarb until I forced some and showed him the difference it makes :)

      Delete
  4. It's a tricky one isn't it? I've come to the conclusion that we buy the best food we can, and buy second hand clothes and other items where possible to save money on that rather than food. We have an organic/biodynamic fruit & veg box delivered by a local farm, which we supplement with homegrown. Food swaps can be great too. I's definitely buy the garlic from a farmer rather than overseas, overseas garlic is all sprayed with nasties or irradiated or something awful. Buying better food and putting money into places other than supermarkets is better for your health and that of the planet, and investment some may say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to look at it, saving money in other areas to help pay for better food. I agree, it is an investment in our local area and farmers and our own health when we spend money at the markets rather than the supermarket.

      Delete
  5. Love coming home witj something unusual from farmers market and supporting local economy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.