I've been reading with interest a spark amongst bloggers to back things off a bit, focus on quality posts over quantity of posts, a movement termed 'slow blogging'. Firstly Jodi and then seconded by Becs. Well, I'm throwing my hat in the ring too. Which is not easy for me, as I love blogging regularly! But I think I need to give myself more space away from the blog, and focus a little more on my daily tasks at hand. I find myself feeling quite scattered a lot of the time, from trying to do too many things in too many different directions. And something has to give, other than sleep.
Which is not to say I won't be blogging, of course I will still be here. Just not quite as often as I have been, and in an entirely intentional way, not a 'drifting off losing interest' kind of way.
So, in saying that, I'll be posting here roughly twice a week. And I'll be dropping my 'In The Garden' posts that I've been doing on Friday's. As much as I have enjoyed poking around the garden with my camera, and actually noticing much more of what's going on out there as a result, I've often found myself racing to get it done with a self-imposed 'deadline', and that isn't always fun. And blogging for me is fun. I have really enjoyed the peeks into other people's gardens who have joined me, Simone and Wendy and Alicia and Ailsa. Thank you all! Anyway this Friday will be my last 'In The Garden' post but if you want to keep it up, that would be pretty cool.
I will keep playing along with the 52 Project on Practicing Simplicity, I'm actually really enjoying the challenge of a portrait of William, without necessarily showing his face [an 'unportrait', apparently]. I love capturing the essence of this boy, where he's at and what he's up to. I was thrilled and humbled to have Jodi list my 14/52 image amongst her favourites for the week. I admire her photography so much and would never have imagined that one of my images would make her favourites list. They tend to be happy snaps for the most part, on the iPhone no less. I mean I always try to capture something interesting but still, it's more like 'quick, he's doing something cute, where's my phone'. I guess that's what parents everywhere do [these days!].
So I shall see how I go with this less-frequent-blog-posting thing. It won't be easy. There are too many words in my head that need an outlet. I may fall off the wagon and be back more regularly by next week. In which case I will say 'hey, at least I tried'.
Do you ever feel the need to let go a little, when you're trying to do too much? Do you try to do too much? What works for you?

Deadlines are no fun - and blogging is meant to be fun! x
ReplyDeleteSlow blogging has always been my preference... I've tried to pick up the pace and put myself on my a schedule with deadlines, but it just doesn't work for me. It's not how my best work flows out of me.
ReplyDeleteI also am considering this, especially as new growth is returning to the garden, and a husband who asks- have you photographed this meal- before he begins to eat. Of course, part of blogging involves commenting on others' blogs, which is also time consuming and tends to keep you focussed in the world of blog, and therefore a little scattered.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you mean, that's why my posts are a bit scattered. I want to be spending lots of time in the garden at the moment, as well as a bit in the kitchen. I loved Jodi's post too.
ReplyDeleteYes I am certainly of the slow blogging variety. Not my intent, it just seems to happen that way - and deadlines don't seem to push me as they should. I'm glad you got the ball rolling with the garden posts Jacqui, I for one will certainly be putting some photos up as things progress. Thankfully the weather is starting to cool down now! cheers Wendy
ReplyDeleteI've been on the blogging wagon on and off and then on again... The moment I start to 'force' myself into deadlines, challenges and stuff, I feel like I get overwhelmed and it's very hard to pick up again after a time off. I love your blog by the way, and I my keep in mind what you've written here.
ReplyDeleteI prefer slow blogging but somethimes I try make more but indepened what I have a week. I love you blog because I have time read all post.
ReplyDelete