So it's a new month and time once again to link up with Lizzie of Strayed from the Table and a bunch of gardening bloggers from around the world to take part in the Garden Share Collective. Loving the new look over on the Collective page, have you seen?
Well it's winter. And it's fair to say that I'm in hibernation mode, and not doing too much in the garden. Actually it has more to do with the fact that we'll be moving soon than winter, but my motivation to be working in the garden has slowed off. Still, we have a productive little garden that is still feeding us regularly, so lets take a look.
Harvesting
Celery, so much celery. I will always plant a good patch of celery now, just having it there for the taking whenever I need it is absolutely wonderful. Really - cold wintery days, making soups and stocks, celery for flavour straight from the garden - perfect. It took a while to find it's feet but now it just grows and grows and grows and I just take stalks as I need them. It's a also home to about twenty million snails but that's another story.
Also harvesting broccoli, we're picking the first heads now. Hopefully we'll get some more smaller shoots coming through before we leave this garden. Rainbow chard and silverbeet, as always, although it's struggling with being crowded by broad beans at the moment. And of course herbs - rosemary, parsley, chives, thyme and oregano are the regulars at the moment. Great for flavouring hearty winter soups and slow cooks, along with the celery.
Planting
During June I managed to plant out some seedlings of rainbow chard, spring onions and a bunch of pretty spring bulbs (totally unrelated to the vegie garden, but noteworthy none the less!). My gardening efforts will be centred around getting cuttings of things growing in pots over the next month, in preparation for a move, and hoping that I can keep harvesting bits and pieces before I can establish a new garden.
To-Do List
Well, take cuttings of herbs mainly, and get them growing in pots ready to take to a new garden. That's about all I'm planning now for the month ahead, and I'm hoping that the little vegie garden I've put time and love into will end up in good hands with a new care-taker.
So a slow time in the garden, but that's ok, it is winter after all. I'm also hoping that we get some broad beans setting soon, so far we've got lots of growth and plenty of flowers, but I'm not seeing much in the way of beans setting. Watching these guys closely.
How's your garden looking these days? For more lovely gardens check out the Garden Share Collective page, and I'll be back with another update in early August with some sneak peeks into a new garden space. Exciting times ahead!



Exciting! Do you know where you are moving to, or still looking?
ReplyDeleteWe know… just waiting on some more paper shuffling and days to pass :) I'm dreaming of planting soooo many potatoes this year!
Deletei cannot imagine leaving my garden behind for someone else ... i have heard horror stories of well-loved established gardens being left to go to ruin, or being pulled out and 'landscaped'. i cannot imagine what would be worse. good luck with your move!
ReplyDeleteYes it's hard, not so hard this time around as I knew we would be here for the short term, but when I left my last garden, now that was hard. I put a LOT of time and effort and love into that, had my potatoes all in and growing, broad beans coming up… It was hard. But I've seen the new residents using the vegie garden and that makes me happy.
DeleteI've seen the most beautiful gardens become 'landscaped', it is quite depressing.
Thank you :)
Everyone puts their own mark on a new garden; they change it to suit themselves, it's inevitable.hen we moved to our block, I left a wild but productive garden full of fruiting plants and trees, herbs and stray flowers, the next occupant liked lawns so it all came out and is now green lawn.
ReplyDeleteW
It's true, you certainly need to be able to let go and accept what is. Still a little sad to see a beautiful garden disappear.
DeleteYou are moving again, wow. Some lucky person will no doubt enjoy all your efforts. I too have been watching my broadbeans in hopes for some beans however we have had plenty of growth and flowers too. We managed to get two pods off yesterday but otherwise I am still waiting for the bumper crop.
ReplyDeleteYeah it's funny with the broad beans this year. I wonder if we don't have enough bees in the garden. I will definitely be making an effort to plant more flowers around the vegies at the new place. In any case, we've just had some frosty nights and no protection for the flowers, so they'll probably not do much now :(
Delete