I've mentioned a few times lately how I've been a bit 'meh' about my blog of late. I know a lot of it has to do with where we're at just in life right now. Here I am, writing a blog called 'dusty country road', but back living in a regional town, with asphalt roads everywhere and no dust to be seen, only road grit and grease. At first it was easy to keep up the momentum with blogging, as we knew we were only in this place as a stopover to our next spot. But with no end date in sight, and no destination either for that matter, it started to feel like we were just - here.
In a month of so we'll be moving into a new (to us) place - and is has dusty country road access. I like that. It also has sealed road access, and a view of a huge grain silo across the road. It has more space than we had before, and we talk about getting a pony. And you know, equines are social animals so it's best to have more than one, so maybe small horse for me. Ha! Like I have time to manage any more animals. But still, who knows. Maybe we will. And then I see photos on Think Big Live Simply of so much space devoted to growing vegetables and I start to dream of that too…
I took a trip out to see the place recently, and on the drive back into town, had to stop for sheep on the road, being moved from one paddock to another. I haven't had to stop for sheep since we left our little old house almost a year ago. And I remembered that I like a slower pace of life. And I remembered that I like driving slower, I'm happier to sit on 80km than 100km. I'm happier when there is no rush. I'm hopeful that we can find a balance in this new place we've found - a slow, simple country life for us, but without the isolation we felt previously. I'm hopeful that we can find our community and feel truly 'at home'.
And I can tell you, I'm glad we've done so much decluttering in the past few months. Our plan was always to spend time at this stopover house 'sorting things out' - getting rid of excess stuff, streamlining finances, paying off stubborn debts. We have certainly done a lot of that. So I start to look forward to a different life once again. Part of me is apprehensive about it - what if it's too hard? Too much work? There is much work to be done there, and we know already that it will take more than we think. Can we do it, and create the warm and welcoming family home we dream of?
I hope so. I really, really, really hope so. I'm looking forward to sharing some images with you. In the mean time, I once again turn my thoughts to packing boxes and moving, and doing so with a toddler in tow now, rather than a little baby. And I know that our stopover house where we've spent the past 9 months will always have a place in my heart; it's the place where my baby turned into a toddler, and he has made this his home so well. So I guess there is a little sadness to say goodbye to here also. New beginnings and endings. Little pieces of me, right now. And my favourite photo, my little boy at the window.

Moving on can be bitter/sweet for sure. I am sure you can make the transition to a simple, slow and mindful life, with a great deal of patience and remembering to enjoy the moment.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading about your new place and watching it grow with you.
Some wise words, thanks for the reminder :)
DeleteJacqui, it's sounds wonderful. Really wonderful. I keep dreaming of space for more veg and fruit under netting (what little fruit I have does not get eaten by me!) Moving is always daunting, but with less 'stuff' the transition will be easier and you'll be up and running before you know it.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing where it takes you (you can never have too many photos of healthy veg beds!)
Best of luck with the actual move :)
Thanks Liz :)
DeleteThere should be space for fruit trees, we would like to build a large chook run, fully covered with fruit trees on the inside. Lots of big ideas that will take us a while to implement I think. Lots of projects for us. So many projects. It'll be good though.
The move itself doesn't feel as daunting this time around, since we've got rid of so much excess stuff. That I am thankful for.
I dream about moving. It's beautiful, but I do not have a garden, and the neighbours too close behind the wall.
ReplyDeleteI can not wait to read about a new place.
I understand :) The neighbours are too close here too, feels a little bit like being caged in. It's good to have a garden. But in the meantime - mint in a pot!
Deletea slower pace of life... i want that too right now. i am caught up in the treadmill of life. it's always worse in the winter.
ReplyDeletethank you for a beautifully reflective post.
Oh the treadmill. It's hard to get off, it's even hard to know when you're on it sometimes, it creeps up on you.
DeleteWe are half way through winter! But yes it is harder in winter, I'm finding really warming foods are helping (ginger, cinnamon, pepper.. esp at breakfast).
And thank you :)