![]() |
| Enough really is enough. |
I can't help but feel sometimes, that the world we live in is a greedy place. Of course it is, it's everywhere. But me, well for the most part, I keep away, focus on our little life at home. I avert my eyes, focus on the good things and basically pretend a lot of things don't exist.
But every now and then I come crashing head first into something I try to avoid. Right now it seems to be greed.
I wonder why? What drives someone to want to take more than they need? Why is enough not simply 'enough'?
I remember as a young girl, getting terribly upset one Easter when I got one beautiful giant easter egg. It was a quality chocolate egg, with pretty sugary flowers stuck to it, and it was big. But all I saw was "I only got one egg, my brother and my cousins got lots and lots of eggs". Now I was the oldest by a good few years, my egg was a beautiful quality egg, the other kids got lots of littler chocolate eggs with lots of brightly coloured wrapping. You can see the difference. And so I got upset, and I got told (to grow up). And eventually I came to see, that having more was not better. And that what I had was beautiful, and it was enough, and there was no need to compare what I had with what anyone else had. I hope I have carried that lesson with me.
Greed is a pretty ugly thing. It repels me. I can step back, feel detached and see into the soul of a person displaying greed (which is so much easier to do when it is a person; when it is an organisation or institution, it becomes harder to feel the compassion). I suspect that greed comes from a feeling of lack, of not having enough. Or perhaps of not feeling fulfilled in life, of always needing more to quell the desire for happiness, or something, but perhaps not finding it. And then seeking even more, rather than looking elsewhere for the true source of happiness.
And then I'm human again and I get caught up in the emotion, and waste time and energy feeling agitated about people being greedy. Organisations being greedy. Institutions being greedy. More, more, more. Me, me, me. More, more, more.
I don't want to say that I'm never greedy. Of course, at times I am (usually involving cake). Probably anyone who is human is, or at the very least feels it to some degree. But I think it becomes a problem when it is a dominant character trait.
And my husband and I have the discussions, what ever happened to a fair days pay for a fair days work? Why does the lazy tax even exist? Why do people try to take advantage of one another? And sadly, it all comes down to money. Seems everyone just wants more money.
Don't get me wrong, we could do with some more money too. But I think there is a balance between having enough (we have enough) and having excess. And interestingly, thinking these thoughts as I am, this post came up as I flicked to one of my favourite blogs these days. I will call it a little synchronicity.
I don't know. These are just my musings, after all. What can you do, other than just live your own values and avoid the things that clash. And when they do come up, what to do? I think for the little humans in this house, we're discovering just where our boundaries lie. The true boundaries, the ones you don't compromise on. And it is uncomfortable sometimes to hold the boundary. But we are endeavouring to do just that.
What do you think?
I thought I'd write a regular mid-week post that is essentially a brain dump of the thoughts that float around in my head. Better out than in, I say. Who knows what will appear! This is the first in the series.

I love this post! I feel the same way, yet often find myself getting caught up in it every so often. Like you, I'm fine when I'm at home in my own little bubble, however when I head down to Melbourne or to any major shopping centre it can't be avoided. I find myself wanting to spend less and less time in that kind of environment. I despise ads and I'm also over big companies and corporations that have big marketing campaign that are constantly telling people that they are not enough as they are and that they need more. Sometimes it feels like everyone is trying to sell something! Yet, we can't live without money, and we can't live without food and so we need to find balance. I'm still trying to find mine...
ReplyDeleteI hear you. I avoid major shopping centres as much as I can, I find everything about them off-putting. We don't have tv here either, so when I do see ads it's like 'you're kidding me, is this for real?' and sadly it is. But you're right, we can't live without money and we can't live without food and that balance is mostly ok for us, but when it's out, it goes way out.
DeleteI'm with you all the way on the greed thing. I feel so greedy sometimes because I worry about money (just lately), but I reason it out to a need for security. We all need security and we seek it where we have been taught to seek it, in more possessions, in more food, in more friends or in my case, in not owing anyone anything. When we feel secure, we stop seeking, but some people never feel secure enough to stop. I love the idea of a weekly 'brain dump', go for it.
ReplyDeleteI think there is a difference between worrying about money and about trying to take as much as you can from people. From what I see you are the opposite of greedy. Interesting point, I am also very much about not owing anyone anything. For me it stems from a need for independence and freedom.
DeleteThis has been playing on my mind recently too. I'm a bit shocked when I venture out of my bubble (I'm lucky to be friends with a bunch like minded mums who I see regularly, so they are also in my bubble!), and have despair for the future when it seems the majority are chasing the dream of more, more, more. But the tide is turning, little by little, as I think people are starting to realise that is is just a dream, not reality. Enough really should be enough!
ReplyDeleteI know, I'm out of touch with the mainstream and when I see it, I can't really get my head around it. Something like 'people still do that stuff?' about chasing material possessions and the like. I think the tide is slowly turning too, it starts to be talked about more - well it is on the websites I visit anyway!
DeleteMaybe talking about it is the key; so many things we do are taken for granted. We never question the reasoning behind our habits, do you ever ask yourself why we want the curtains to match the carpet? or why we feel ashamed of our dirty car when we go to town? It's all in our social training and by talking about it, we begin the process of changing it.
DeleteTrue. It is another way we are conditioned. Now about the dirty car - I'm always the one with the dirty car. There are far too many things on the list to do before the car gets washed. Although I do notice how dirty it is by comparison whenever I go into the city. What can you do - the minute the wind blows its dusty and dirty again!
DeleteJude, you're ashamed of a dirty car? We don't even iron clothes ;)
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about this a lot too recently, maybe I'm reading it a lot in blogs too. While the kids are small it's relatively easy to keep them away from it all. As they get older I suspect it will be harder as peer pressure kicks in.
My husband is the only one to do any ironing in this house - I iron something maybe twice a year!
DeleteYes I think as kids get older and get exposed to what the other kids have, and see more of the consumerist way of life, it will be harder. The only thing I can do now though is to strengthen our values and way of life, so that hopefully it will help in years to come. It's a tough one.
i have to remind myself sometimes that just because one is good, doesnl tmean more is better. just be content with the one, instead of starting a collection, or having a whole range of colours, or sizes. i'm thinking clothes and kitchenware!.
ReplyDeletethank you for a thoughtful post.
I must admit, I found some merino tops this year that I was greedy with. One was good, four is better. Seven would be best. One for every day of the week without having to wash in the middle :) A rare exception though, I really start to feel that having less allows us to see the beauty in each item, rather than lose the beauty in clutter.
DeleteWe decluttered coffee makers this year - we had two different sizes of stovetop coffee brewers and decided to only keep one. THAT was hard!