It's not about the money. Life, it is not about money. Sure, we need a certain amount of money to live on - to build a comfortable home for ourselves, to dress ourselves, to ensure we have food to eat. Much of this we can do with our own hands and our own labour, with just raw materials that really don't cost much. Except perhaps for the house part.
I think about this blog, and once upon a time I thought it would be good to be able to make money from blogging. But the blog itself, it is not about money. I don't want free stuff from companies, I don't want affiliate links to shops I would never actually buy anything from in the first place, I don't want to write about how great (insert name here) superfund is. Particularly when I don't think compulsory superannuation is that great a thing (material for future musings right there). The things a blogger gets in their inbox.
I have spent a lot of years of my life riding mountain bikes. I have a way with words and explanations and demonstrations that means I am well-equipped to help others ride better. So I ended up working - contracting - with a company that teaches mountain bike skills. It's been a bit of a give and take relationship. But at this point, I can't help but feel that I have done more of the give and less of the take. And I've changed. Not just in that I've become a mother, but in how I value myself. And I'm worth more than that. For me, riding a bike has never been about money.
I really feel that the serious amount of decluttering we/I have done in the past year or so has changed so many things for us/me. It has had flow-on effects that I would not have seen coming. It means I am less and less able to be 'bought', if that makes sense? When someone dangles a carrot that you're supposed to want - and yes, you are supposed to want stuff - when someone dangles that carrot, and the carrot means nothing to you, then you are in a very strong place. When someone uses bullying and threats to take away a carrot - again, the stuff you are supposed to want - and you can shrug your shoulders and say 'take your carrot'. Then you are in a very strong place.
Life is about life. It is about giving and sharing and learning and growing and healing. It is about love and relating to others and doing what we can to shine. It is not about money. And when you know it's not about money, then you don't have to compromise your values. If anything, you can live them more fully than ever.
Own less, want less, need less. It makes you a stronger person.

I love this post; YES life is about life. We don't value money much here, it gets us in trouble a lot (especially when it comes to paying our mortgage). Our family chooses jobs and projects based on whether we think we will enjoy them or if they will be good for the community rather than how much it pays. We have raised our daughters this way too, much to the bewilderment of others (some others).
ReplyDeleteYes, we're the same, the pay is not the biggest concern at all, much more important that it be in line with our values and our lifestyle, and good for the community too.
DeleteGreat post again Jacqui. cha-ching cha-ching - they are all out there with their carrots aren't they and so many are tempted. Consumerism gives me the creeps really. I guess a post like yours can only inspire others. I am inspired to do more decluttering! cheers Wendy
ReplyDeleteWhen you step back and look at consumerism the way it is, it's a pretty bad state of affairs, isn't it? Like maybe up to a point it was ok, but it's just gone out of control and suddenly buying 'stuff' is the most important thing.
DeleteDecluttering is the best!
I do so enjoy your posts, and agree, life is about so much more than money and wanting the next big 'thing'.
ReplyDeleteThank you :) It absolutely is. There is so much more to life, and the little things matter so much.
Delete