Thoughts about houses and property and the property market in general are never that far from my mind to be honest. I have always loved to peruse the real estate section of any paper, and my husband who loves to do the same. So we certainly have our thoughts and discussions and opinions on lots of things property-related.
![]() |
| An ancient mulberry tree in the paddock at our new home. It still fruits, apparently. |
We have just moved into what you could call our dream home. It is about 76 years young, has approximately 20 million little holes to be filled (literally, you could see daylight through some of them), has a few floorboards that need replacing in places, has an outside laundry, has a room that needs re-doing due to termite damage (the original bathroom, that we will convert to an inside laundry), has repainting to be done throughout the entire house (some as a matter of need, some because we aren't into the colour scheme in place). It has beautifully narrow doorways into the older rooms - doorways were so narrow 70-odd years ago, why are they so much wider now? It has uneven floors, uneven doorways, uneven bench tops. And to us, it is just perfect.
I wrote this post a little while ago about what I wanted in a simple home. Looking back, I can tick a lot of the boxes for the home I described. Not all, but most. That was always going to be the case with a wish list. This little house, it is both spacious and small at the same time. We have consolidated and decluttered our possessions so much already, and now we realise we need to do even more. And I think that is wonderful. We will truly keep in our home only those things we need, or love, or need and love. And it is a home with character. Clearly not everyone's cup of tea, as it's been sitting empty for the better part of a year. And I guess it's not much to look at from the outside. Just an old white weatherboard, in need of a wash and some TLC.
Thing is though, one of the things we wanted but never really believed we could get, was a couple of acres within the boundary of a small town. Rural, but still with a community. Some land, but still walking distance to the main road and a few shops. Walking distance to the monthly market. And it only recently dawned on us, that that is precisely what we have got. We never thought we would be able to get it, not because it doesn't exist, but because it doesn't exist at a price we could afford to pay. And yet somehow this little property sat and just waited for us to find it. It almost sold, it fell through, and then it sat, and sat, and sat. We had briefly looked at it online, but originally dismissed it as it only had two bedrooms, (we wanted three). But compromise gets made somewhere, and for us it was there. And I truly believe that this little house was just for us.
And the price we paid for our humble little place? Being fully open here on the blog, we paid (or more correctly, the bank helped us to pay) $160,000. For a little old house, with character and charm and in need of a few repairs (but with good solid bones), on three acres of land, within a nice small town in Central Victoria. A nice town, close enough to Bendigo and with NBN access. A town that we have visited regularly for a few years now, but had never really considered calling home, but a town that I am thrilled to be in, and to raise a family in. And I look at what we have, at this space to share together as a family, for our little one to grow, and learn and explore. And I wonder why - why why why? Why do people flock to overcrowded cities, with ridiculously high property prices - really, really ridiculously high property prices? Why do people lock themselves into huge mortgages that require two incomes just to make ends meet? And to be squeezed in like sardines to boot? Don't get me wrong, I think city living is actually a pretty sustainable way to live, when you can home a lot of people in apartments utilising upward space, and really negate the need for a car when all amenities are close by. I think that is a really good option. The part I don't get so much is the suburban sprawl, particularly the new estate builds. Where the house takes up almost the entire block, with barely any space for a garden at all. Where houses are just big, bigger, biggest. We drive past such houses being built and I wonder how on earth they are going to heat the place. And really, it's not about the money. Sure, you can have all the money in the world to heat a massive house, but just because you can, does that mean you should?
In any case, I am grateful to be just here. I am grateful for the opportunities this little place provides for us, to make a beautiful home, to grow much food, to hopefully get some equine friends to keep the grass down, and to build our family life. I am so happy, just to be here. We have all the time to do what needs doing, and in the mean time, we're busy building family memories to share. And it didn't cost us an arm and a leg, or the earth for that matter.

Your place sounds wonderful. You will bring the old girl to life again and make it into your home. I sometimes think that houses have a personality of their own and that people who live there take on some of those attributes, or are attracted to the place because it's essential nature matches theirs. Your place sounds gentle and kind (but maybe that's just you). I can't wait to see some photos and hear your adventures.
ReplyDeleteOh there is definitely a personality to old houses. I wonder if it is a collection of the various energies of the all the people who have lived there. We always give a new house a good smudge with a sage stick, but this house does have a good feel to it. A creative feel too.
DeleteWe have always used salt in water as a cleanser, but sage has a lovely smell to it.
DeleteI think somewhere I must have heard of using salt before, it's like a vague memory in my head but I've not tried it. Handy to know though, thank you.
DeleteCongratulations on your new place! We live in a very similar place - white weatherboard, two bedrooms and very wonky floors - just on the edge of a little town at the other end of central vic about 40 min out of melb. One major difference though - we paid nearly 300 thousand more. Why? Because we needed to be within a reasonable commute to melb for my husbands work that of course we needed to sustain to pay a mortgage! It's like a vicious circle. But whenever we talk about the option of selling and moving we both feel sad. This little wonky house is our home and we love out little town. And I hope your new house will also become 'home' whatever that means for you and for however long you need it to be! Sending warmest of wishes! Bron
ReplyDeleteThank you :) Yikes, location location! Anything close to the city is just so expensive. We're lucky having access to work a bit further away from the city, certainly takes the pressure off. This house already feels like home to us, hopefully for a long time to come too.
DeleteSo nice to hear you are happy with your choice of home and land.
ReplyDeleteI think this is the very best way to go, you live in the house for a year and see what the seasons and climate do to the house overall and then plan the use of space inside and the planting of permanent shade or deciduous trees, to help with heating and cooling. Please don't cut down any existing trees until you see how helpful they are, they may just need pruning.
With a small mortgage there will sometimes be money for work you want to do on repair and improvements.
In the end you have just what you want and need to suit your family..... not an expensive new big house that you will never have the money to alter.
Looking forward to hearing all about this great new adventure of loving an old home back to life, does it have a wood stove or a wood heater ? our old farm house had a wood semi combustion stove and it kept the whole house warm and comfy.
Wonderful advice as always, thank you :) We are not planning on cutting any trees down, the last owners planted a lot of trees (natives mostly) that have had 10 years to grow and are looking really lovely now. Some shrubs around the house need clearing out, but apart from that, we're just grateful for everything that is already here. Apple trees, blood plum, nectarine… We will add more in time.
DeleteNo wood stove unfortunately, I would love to have a wood stove. There is a wood heater though. The most lovely heat, and sitting by the fire is so good for the soul. And warm.
So glad you found your perfect "home"...can't wait to see the photos as you bring the old girl back to life...such an exciting time for you all. I am envious of your 3 acres.
ReplyDeleteIt is exciting, and a huge amount to be done… We were so lucky to find this little place, having a bit of space to stretch out is one of the things I love the most. Thank you :)
DeleteCongratulations on your new home, it sounds like you and your family are going to be very happy there.
ReplyDeleteThank you :) I think it is a good family home for us, we already are happy here.
DeleteThat all sounds wonderful and it's such a "happy" feeling when you get the "right house for you" even if it needs work. I moved 3.5 years ago and for about 6 weeks was trying to buy a house a couple of suburbs away and this particular house had been empty for over a year and the owners were overseas and divorced so it was just sitting there doing nothing. I had to move and find a house for my 2 and 4 year old and myself after I finally ended a horrible marriage and I seriously wanted that house and the owners wouldn't budge on the price and I didn't want to pay that much. In the end I looked in a suburb further out (in fact I grew up in this suburb) and looked at a house that was $100,000 out of my price range but looked at it anyway and it too had been sitting empty for a year as the owners had moved to the country. In the end it was perfect and I offered my price and naturally they didn't take it but a week later negotiated a price (way less than the house I originally wanted) and this house is 10 times better than that house and the kids and I are so happy here with lovely neighbours who all look out for each other. It's funny because at the time I was so disappointed I couldn't get that first house and I was running out of time as we would be homeless and it all turned out in the end. The price for your house and land sounds perfect enough so that there is no pressure on extending yourself and you can be there for your children. I look forward to seeing how things go. I agree with a comment above and that is to live there for a while and get the feel of the place, the seasons, the light and maybe add a bedroom later down the track but enjoy your own piece of paradise.
ReplyDeleteI thought I would give you a link to something you can set up outside and start producing veggies in 6 weeks. This will get you really inspired. Congratulations on the house that you will turn into a home with love and memories. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
http://www.ock-du-spock.com/2013/12/the-transformation-of-garden.html#.U-RmyfmSw1I
Thanks Kathy :) It's funny how things work out sometimes isn't it? It's easy to get attached to a certain place, even if it just doesn't seem to be working. I initially didn't want to move to the town we're in, for no reason than I wanted to be on the 'other side'. And yet the perfect house was here for us all along.
DeleteI'm glad you place has worked out so well for you and your kids. I imagine that would have been a very tough time.
There's a few vegie garden beds already in place, and the soil even looks quite good, so I'm hoping I can just start planting out and have a productive little garden in no time. Thanks for the link, I will take a look.
'Scuse me while I fall over my dropped jaw ... you got a two bed house and a couple of acres for £88k near a nice town?!?!?!?!?!
ReplyDelete*shakes head*
Moving on ...
It all sounds wonderful and perfect for you *cheers* looking forward to the renovation stories to come :)
Any chance of some pics for a nosey Brit? ;)
Well I haven't done the conversion but I'll trust your numbers ;) although I should point out some slight differences (thanks to my husband who can translate between aussie and uk). Our town (we're within the boundaries) is what you might call a village, with about 1000 people. Our next biggest town where we've just come from is 20mins away and has about 8000 people. And supermarkets.
DeleteBut yes, we think this place is a bit of a find!! There do still exist pockets of reasonably priced real estate somewhere on earth.
Pics to come soon :)
i loved that NBN was a criteria or a good thing, at least. oh these modern times! but it sounds perfect for you; congratulations.
ReplyDeletei'm lucky to live in an older suburb where my house sits comfortably in a block large enough to give me plenty of gardening and breathing space. and in hobart, and hobart's eastern shore where i am, you're never that far from a beach or country paddock either. we may not have all the shops, culture and arts, or all the sunshine, but it's a pretty good place to live here :-)
The NBN is such a bonus, and it is the original, put in place before current govt changes… it actually works brilliantly. No more buffering, ever! I'm vaguely familiar with Hobart's eastern side. A large block certainly does give the breathing space, doesn't it. It's not all about shops and culture and arts, those things are nice to visit but we don't need them all the time :)
DeleteSo excited for you, it sounds freaking awesome - can't wait to see how it all progresses!
ReplyDeleteThanks Becs :)
Delete