1 December 2014

Garden Share Collective: Slowly Coming Together

It's time again for the Garden Share Collective. I missed last month, mainly because I was feeling pretty low about our garden and couldn't quite bring myself to write about it. But things are on the improve, the battle against the earwigs is not entirely won but we're getting somewhere, finally. Linking up with Lizzie from Strayed from the Table and a bunch of gardening bloggers from around the world.







So as I mentioned, earwigs. Little blighters have been eating everything, everything! To the point where I was starting to wonder whether we'd even get any vegies growing this season at all. But finally we have some plants in the ground and going well. Apparently earwigs aren't keen on onions, spring onions, tomatoes, parsley, and corn, all of which are now growing well. What they are keen on is beetroot, silverbeet, basil, broccoli, eggplant, potato, pumpkin, and I'm sure the list is longer but that's all that we've lost (which is actually quite a lot, I think). I did get a good bunch of potatoes growing despite the earwigs, and they're about to flower. I have some beans in the ground that are so far doing ok… but it's close, there are plenty of holes eaten in the leaves so I'm doing all I can to help them grow fast. We'll see. I've also got basil and strawberries in pots now, they are also doing well and mostly earwig-free.

Herbs are doing well, mostly flowering now and I'm happy for them to flower like mad. It's bringing lots of bees which is lovely. Marjoram, flat leaf parsley, curly leaf parsley, coriander. A sea of coriander is flowering, I'd say we'll have plenty of coriander seed to grind up this year. Also flowering is my celery - have you seen this before? Is it likely to self seed? I'm hoping so. It's become a garden must-have for me, a constant supply of celery for soups and stocks.

Planting
A few things on the list for December. Leeks, zucchini (should already be in the ground but oops), lettuce, beetroot, rocket, carrots, mint. I'll just see what I can get in the ground and see what of it survives. 

Harvesting
At the moment, it's mainly herbs. Parsley, oregano, basil. Waiting patiently for potatoes, tomatoes, onions and strawberries. 

To Do List
Hill up around the potatoes.
Stake the tomatoes.
Create more garden beds (not an easy task - it involves scraping back a thick layer of orange gravelly stuff from the former driveway to reveal the soil underneath, then adding compost and mulch) for the above mentioned plantings.
Regular feeding with weed and manure tea. Sounds lovely doesn't it?
And just our daily watering and caring for the garden.

So overall I'm happy, so happy to finally have something that resembles a garden growing. I've taken over the space right outside our house, which was probably once designed with ornamental plants in mind, but I love having most of my vegies growing right there. At this point in my life, I need fast and easy access if there is to be any successful vegie growing and that is exactly what I've got.

And that's me for this month. Pop on over to the Garden Share Collective page and take a look at the other lovely gardens on display.

10 comments:

  1. Not your silverbeet, how dare those earwigs eat your silverbeet. How ever to have your summer veggies like corn and tomatoes pest free is great. Though I did spot a cabbage white moth in one of those photos. They are my enemy. Your garden is looking good, you have been busy. Great to see your new patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a few of those moths getting around but so far they're not doing any damage. I'm sure I'll be less pleased about them in a few months. I have been busy! Slowly busy, it's finally paying off.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures Jacqui, your garden is looking lovely. I am sorry to hear that you lots so many plants. Earwigs seem to be a common pest this year. I discovered some in my spinach this season, I have not ever seen them in the garden before. I hope that the worst is over for you and you and the wonderful summer harvests commence soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've heard a few people having the problem with earwigs this year - some close by and others a bit further away. So maybe it's just a bad year for earwigs. Thanks Krystie :)

      Delete

  3. Your plants are looking so healthy, I have a nice Comfery plant which I hear makes a good feeding tea, so will get some of that going this week.
    Good luck with defeating the earwigs. A friend has a major infestation or black and orange stink bugs making her lovely Lemon tree very sick, the nurseries around here are using a mix of water and Molasas to spray the citrus trees, as the bugs don't like the sugary liquid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The survivors are looking healthy! I planted a comfrey and that was also eaten by the earwigs. I'll try that one again in autumn or winter. Apparently it is good for feeding tea and good for herbal remedies too (but poisonous to eat).
      There's all sorts of tried and tested methods out there, I think if I sprayed anything with molasses around here I'd have a little pony eating it instead!

      Delete
  4. your garden looks so peaceful. despite the earwigs - I never knew they did so much damage! I rarely see them here - actually, mainly in my mum's dahlias.
    good luck creating more garden beds. it is back breaking work, so my thoughts will be with you and your muscles on those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely and peaceful, when the grain harvest across the road isn't in full swing! I had no idea about earwigs either, in small numbers they are quite beneficial as they eat other bugs, but in large numbers they demolish seedlings.
      Thank you, it all happens quite slowly in short bursts for new beds but we get there eventually!

      Delete
  5. Looks great, you must be feeling more settled now getting it going! We are having earwig problems too - eating our beans (or it could be slugs, but I'm thinking earwigs. Or slaters. God, who knows!!). Fingers crossed yours pull through, I've just done a replant to fill in the (many) gaps ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bad year for earwigs I think, they sure do some damage. Chooks eat them, but I don't want them anywhere near this garden either. I hope your replants survive too :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.