14 October 2013

Motherhood - Finding My Rhythm

My chubby boy in his op shop find Winnie the Pooh shirt.

My baby boy is nearly 7 months old. And I start to feel like there is finally some rhythm and structure to our days. I'm finding I am more able to be present, and to embrace my life running to baby time, which was certainly an adjustment from pre-motherhood life. I'm sure this process will continue but right now, we have a beautiful balance to our days.

I know how long he will sleep for overnight. I know that from when he wakes up, I've got about 2 hours until he needs to sleep again, give or take not very much. I know that when he goes down for a morning sleep, I've got about 2 hours until he wakes again, give or take not very much. I know the afternoon sleep will happen at some point, but it is not as predictable as the morning sleep. And I'm completely ok with that. 

He reached a point recently where he became happier to hop back into bed for a sleep, rather than sleep in my arms. Throughout the first 6 months, he was very much a sleep in mummy's arms or not at all kind of baby. And once I realised this, I was fine with it. There is a little bit of sadness to now tucking him in to sleep by himself, but he sleeps so much better. He will still call me in for a feed mid-sleep if he wants it. And late in the day there is still a shorter sleep in my arms, usually. 

We share our breakfast together, which I'm usually trying to prepare as my husband is about to leave for work. I've relaxed into the baby led weaning thing and now enjoy watching him feed at his own pace, without worrying about food going everywhere, or dropping his spoon, or whether most of his breakfast ends up on the floor. I absolutely feel the need to clean up after breakfast, but I've learned to let it go until he's back in bed. I give him a wash wash, clean his hands and face and clothes, and off we go for a play. 

I can hang the washing out with him sitting happily in his pram, watching the goings-on in the garden. Chooks, cats, dogs. There is always something to look at. I can sit him with some books while I brush me teeth, and he's fine. I remember the days of not getting a chance to clean my teeth until 3pm. Early motherhood is definitely full on. And I loved it then and I love it now. But there is such a wonderful understanding now, and I'm so unrushed, because I know enough to know that it's all ok. 

I love sitting with him in the sunny book room and reading his books. Little board books with touchy feely bits in them. He has really taken to them, and watches and listens whenever someone will read with him. And then he grabs the books and tries to eat them. He is just fascinated. It is such a pleasure, this motherhood business. I love giving him spoons and pots from the kitchen, and letting him play with them, just like mummy and daddy when we do the cooking. I love sharing a little snack with him. 

I had no idea what motherhood would be like. I'm happy that I love it so much. And this little boy, he just means everything to me.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post!
    I am so glad that you take so much pleasure in being a mother; it is the most important job in the world. Mothers are raising the generation that will care for the world, including us, when we are old.
    I do faintly remember that rythmn, we have moved on to a whole new song in our family now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I already feel how fleeting this small baby time is. I want to bottle it and hang on to it forever. But I'm sure it will be just as wonderful in years to come, albeit with a different rhythm and beat.

      Delete
  2. Got a bit teary reading your post today (though that may be partly due to the complete lack of sleep for the last 24 hours!). Bub and I are yet to find a steady rhythm...our days are more like jazz with her playing the tune! But like you I find that I'm okay with that. I'm sure we'll develop our own song as the months go by, but I no longer feel stressed or rushed to find the text book routine. Also, over the last few weeks I have spoken to a couple of women that I admire as people and as mums. So finding that they both "hated" this stage of their children's lives made me feel a bit dislocated. I had no idea what this journey would be like but despite the hard work and lack of sleep, I like being a mum and I kind of enjoy our haphazard days. It's nice to feel this way and it's nice to hear that someone else does too! Thanks! Bron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand the hating the early childhood days. It is THE hardest job. But I think that for every day that stretches you just that bit more, well, once you've been there you know how to deal with it. You might not like it! But you can handle it. That's kind of how the hard days were for me. And still are! This new daily rhythm of ours hit suddenly at about 6 months... so, hang in there!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.