6 March 2014

The First Year of Blogging - a rambling collection of thoughts

There is no cake, but I may eat a tomato to celebrate.

I'm thrilled that this blog has been in existence for a year now. A year and a month actually, I'm a bit slow with my celebrations. I'm so glad to have the first year under my belt now though. Because I think that unless you're already a blogging superstar, there is quite a learning curve, and the only way to learn is by doing. What I mean to say is, there's likely to be some crappy content on a new blog in the first year - and you just have to go through it anyway.

Does that make any sense to you? It's like being a beginner at anything. No matter how much 'natural talent' you may possess for something, there is always a place for learning. And in blogging it's no different - learning how to take better photos, learning how to edit those photos better, learning how to write consistently, and how to engage readers when you write. And I don't for a second think I have any of those things figured out by the way, but they are things I work on improving.

And that is all you can do at the end of the day, just keep working at improving. One step at a time. Getting help when you need it is important [google is good for that]. Getting assistance and advice from more experienced people is great [I just finished doing this Blog With Pip course and it gave me so many things to think about]. And I enjoy this business of being new at something. When you're still new, you have so much enthusiasm, you haven't blocked yourself in with your own boundaries, you just 'do' and see what happens.

In another completely unrelated role in my life, I am a mountain bike skills instructor. I love nothing more than going out with a group of complete beginners, and giving them the tools and confidence to mountain bike. And beyond that, everyone, even the very best riders, can use some instruction. I love working with my fellow instructors because I come away riding better myself. And more than anything, I love that people, adults, show up at a course - ready to be open to learning, open to making mistakes, maybe having a crash and absolutely open to having a great time. 

But what has this got to do with blogging? Everything, really. It's just another 'thing' that you can do. So whereas in one area of my life I'm doing the instructing, in this area of my life, I'm learning the ropes, and maybe having the odd success and the odd fail. And mostly being somewhere in the middle. And I love it. It keeps me on my toes, it forces me to take photographs, to improve my writing, to go out and 'meet' people on the internet. Because blogging is about community, at the end of the day. And it's just plain old good fun. Just like when I was a brand new mountain biker. 

Thank you so much to all who take the time to read my blog and leave the odd comment. It means the world to me. 

Do you blog? What's your favourite thing about it? Or have you tried being a beginner in other areas of life? How do you find it? 

18 comments:

  1. I love the possibility of being a beginner. I love the feeling of 'Why not?' It's liberating to have nothing to lose! Happy 1 year and 1 month xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I agree, it's a great feeling to try something new and see what happens. Thanks for reading xx

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your one year of blogging! I've loved following your blog for a while now, and will continue to read of course. :) I'm starting a new job on Monday, after working at the same place for 9 years, so there will be lots to learn! Will be weird being new at a job, but I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the new job, that's so exciting! You'll be all over it in no time, for sure :)

      Delete
  3. *singing*
    Happy Blogiversary to You
    Happy Blogiversary to You
    Happy Blogiversary, Dear Jacqui,
    Happy Blogiversary to You

    Have enjoyed reading you- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda!

      Humming that in my head now.. :)

      Delete
  4. Happy one year of blogging! There is always something new to learn with blogging. I'm enjoying taking photos and I'm trying to get better with my writing skills. But I still have a long way to go.
    I enjoy reading your blog, I always look forward to reading what you have posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simone :) There is always something to learn with blogging.. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Happy one year of blogging. I love come back to for photos and post. You know that Engish is my second language. I like reading your post because are very clear and , of course very intersting. Thanks ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna :) Your english is very good, it really is. I enjoy reading your blog too for similar reasons.

      Delete
  6. I can't remember how I came across your blog and although it feels like only a few months ago I know deep down it will be longer cos time just whizzes by me these days! I love it though. A SAHM who thinks about the environment, tries to reduces her impact and grows veg? Writing a blog? Whoop! Much of which you do better than me, lol, and you may be on the 'wrong' side of the planet ;) but it is lovely to know there is someone else out there who wouldn't think I'm a tad odd making my own soap!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my grammar and composition is worse than normal today. Tired. (Good excuse, yes?)

      Delete
    2. Ah I always get a giggle from your comments Liz. I'm on the correct side of the planet! You must be on the wrong side ;) Thank you.
      Tired is always a good excuse… I didn't notice the grammar anyway!

      Delete
  7. I love reading your blog; there is always new content; new thoughts to explore. As for being a beginner, I spend my life that way. I love to learn new things and my comfort zone is in the beginner phase of any undertaking; when life is exciting and new. Keep blogging, and keep learning, you are someone with a lot to say that's worth listening to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. the thoughts go around and around in my head, it's healthy to have a place to unleash them. Thanks Jude.

      Delete
  8. Hi Jacqui - first comment from me, now seems as good a time as any! I've been most impressed with how regularly you blog (always interesting) and must push myself to blog more often too. Might join in your garden round up next time. Happy Blogiversary! cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy - thanks for taking the time to comment. I love to find out who reads! Love you have you join in the garden round up if you get time.

      Delete
  9. Happy one year (and one month)! I love your blog; it's one of the few I always take the time to follow regularly. Even though we've got pretty much opposite lives (no baby yet for me and a northern Canadian climate) I always find some inspiration in your posts, whether for right now or to store away for future days as a mumma/person with her own home and garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.