16 April 2015
Midweek Musings: Living Media-Free
We live pretty much media-free here in this little house, my boy and I. We have no TV, we rarely listen to the radio, we buy newspapers during the cooler months to get the fire going, and that's about it. That is it.
Of course we have the internet and I have my phone, so obviously there is a source of media there. But that source is of my choosing, and I choose very wisely. I don't go to any online news sites. If something happens, I hear about it generally through other bloggers or social media sites. I'm choosy about what I follow. And the only advertising I'm ever subjected to is that which I see on blogs. And on the blogs I read, I'm ok with that, as I know the blogger is selective about who they work with.
And do you know what? It's blissful. It really, truly is blissful. We are not bombarded with the over-the-top, hyped out beast that is everyday media. We are not subject to hearing the negative, emotive rubbish our politicians throw about. We don't sit through news bulletins that seem to thrive on drama and negativity. And we are not subject to the manipulation of information by the few, to control the many. We just don't bother with it. I don't bother with it. In my world, it might as well not exist. And it's blissful, it really truly is.
To be honest, we wouldn't have time to watch TV even if we had one. We wouldn't make time. My little boy is growing up without a television to stare mindlessly into. He is instead growing up with a laptop to - stare mindlessly into? I don't know what effect the technology we have today is going to have on our little ones. I sometimes let him watch Xavier Rudd's music channel on You Tube, and he's watched some Clinton Anderson horse training DVD's with me. And that is all.
Short but sweet today. It's really very simple. We don't do mainstream media.
Labels:
media,
mindfulness,
musings,
simple living
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I sometimes lose control of the media, too much TV. I do not watch and do not read the news, but sometimes I watch a lot of stupid things and not needed. I am getting over this, but this is only possible for me in the spring and summer
ReplyDeleteWe don't watch TV or read the news or listen to radio either. I usually get my news from conversations with locals. It is blissful. I am sometime irritated by the attitudes of those who watch the news and are then sure they know what's going on, blind to the fact of mass manipulation of minds. I would rather honestly not know what is going on than to feel that I do when I don't.
ReplyDeleteEven if you did have time to watch TV Jacqui, there is very little worth watching anyway. I borrow DVD's of my favourite shows from the library, that way I get to watch what I like without all the crazy advertising.
ReplyDeleteWe got rid of our TV a good while ago and it's been wonderful! My boys have found other ways to entertain themselves, although we do let them watch DVDs at the weekend. I listen to BBC Radio 4- mainly their arts programmes, Book of the Week and Woman's Hour. Also I've read so much more during these months than ever before!
ReplyDeleteWe are not much for TV. DVDs from library the way to go here,. Or music. You sound so balanced Jacqui, and enjoying such special time with your son. He won't miss technology - keep him away from it as long as you possibly can! cheers Wendy
ReplyDelete